|This article is a stub. Please help the Doom Wiki by expanding it.|
- "Designed for sustained volleys, the Chaingun deals high damage at a very high rate of fire."
- ― Arsenal description [src]
The Delta-12 Chaingun, or simply Chaingun, is a weapon featured in Doom (2016).
Its 6 rotating barrels give it a very high rate of fire. Very useful when fighting numerous and strong enemies.
The Delta-12 Chaingun (often referred to as "The D12" by operatives), is a high velocity heavy weapon capable of suppressing multiple targets at once. Recent changes to the firing mechanism have pushed the Delta-12 to the physical limits of a ballistic weapon. An Argent infused piston compresses gas within the firing crucible to over 220,000 PSI. When released, this launches a 15mm Tungsten Slug with a muzzle velocity of nearly 5,000 feet per second. The heat generated by this action is siphoned into a thermal gel compound that automatically recharges the 96volt battery pack. This allows the weapon to sustain an almost endless firing cycle, as long as ammunition is present. The Delta-12 Chaingun weighs 45kg, making it a lethal but cumbersome armament.
This 3rd party modification overrides the crucible release safety, allowing the weapon to fire immediately without waiting for maximum rotation. This action, while allowing for instant use, does prolong the time it takes to reach full speed. This modification is unapproved by the UAC.
A secondary firing crucible and compression chamber can be added to the weapon. This modification unbalances the weapon, so remaining stationary while firing is recommended. When used, the weapon fires at twice the normal rate of fire, expanding twice the ammunition and superheating the muzzle. Although this modification presents the most powerful suppression in the UAC arsenal (other than the BFG prototype project), the system can and will overheat if not used cautiously.
The Chaingun barrel begins spinning at a low velocity while firing bullets at a low rate of fire. However as the barrel spins faster the rate of fire increases.
Compared to the Heavy Assault Rifle, the Chaingun has a much larger reticle and wider spread, making it inaccurate at long ranges. However it shoots at a much faster rate, of 900 RPM or 15 shots/sec, ammunition pool can be consumed quickly when firing without discipline, even more so with the use of Mobile Turret. 
The Chaingun shares its ammo pool with the Heavy Assault Rifle. The player can increase his max ammo cap by using Argent Cells and allocating its power to "Ammo" subsystem.
|"Ammo" Level||Max Ammo|
| Gatling Rotator|
The Weapon Mod button can spin up the Chaingun barrels without firing.
|Improved Torque||Significantly increases the spin up speed of the Gatling Rotator.||Weapon Upgrade Points|
|Uranium Coating||Bullets penetrate through targets.|
|Incendiary Rounds||Bullets deal more damage when the Chaingun reaches its maximum rate of fire.||Purchase all upgrades and complete the Weapon Mastery challenge|
| Mobile Turret|
Hold the Weapon Mod button to transform the weapon barrels into a Mobile Turret. It will stall if it overheats.
|Rapid Deployment||Drastically decrease the transformation time for the Mobile Turret.||Weapon Upgrade Points|
|Uranium Coating||Bullets penetrate through targets.|
|Ultimate Cooling||The Mobile Turret mode will no longer stall.||Purchase all upgrades and complete the Weapon Mastery challenge|
The Chaingun can be unlocked in the multiplayer at level 2 (it's also available to use in level 1 by choosing "Ambusher" default loadout). The player spawns with 125 bullets (200 is the max ammo). The weapon features two fire modes:
- Primary Fire - A large drum-fed rotary machine gun with a high rate of fire.
- Weapon Mod - Spins up the rotating barrel assembly to its maximum speed (Hold the Weapon Mod button).
- The weapon shares ammo with the Heavy Assault Rifle despite the fact that it uses a 15mm tungsten slug and the Heavy Assault Rifle fires 12.7mm rounds.
- The Gatling Rotator description on the ingame Codex is inconsistent with the mod's actual function. It allows the user to spin the gun's barrels without firing, while the description states it allows the weapon to be fired "without waiting for maximum rotation". This implies that the Chaingun would originally be limited to firing only after spinning up the barrel.
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMPx2sR_gDI - at 60 FPS, calculated frame by frame. Normal shooting at maximum wind-up speed, each shot occurs 4 frames between each other. While on mobile turret, each shot occurs 2 frames between each other. With 60 FPS, that would put the ROF at 900 RPM (rounds-per-minute), and with the lore of the Mobile Turret supposedly doubling rate of fire, is consistent with 1800 RPM that IS double of 900 RPM.
- ↑ https://youtu.be/i5bI2fv2flE?t=3m4s - at 60 FPS, calculated frame by frame. each two round bursts has two frames-worth of interval in seconds, which is 1/60 = 0.01667s, with the firing frame at the first frame. 2 frames would produce 0.03333s of interval between the shots of the two round burst. With total frames of 8 per two-round burst between the first rounds of the bursts, it is 0.1333s interval or 450 RPM per burst. But it is still 900 RPM accounting of the two-round burst, or 0.06667s average interval.
- ↑ https://youtu.be/Q_LNgr1tQCc?t=7m38s - Proof of 2-round bursts.