Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Doom 2D is a fan-made DOS-based freeware side-scrolling video game based upon Doom, somewhat like Doom 2D - Knee deep in the dead, only older. Doom 2D is essentially the original Doom translated into a two-dimensional arcade or console-like shooter, comparable to the original Duke Nukem. The player resumes their role as Doomguy, who must do battle with various hell-spawn.
Originally appearing entirely in Russian, eventually a partially-translated English version appeared and both are still available for free on the Internet.
The story of Doom 2D is presumably the same as that of the original Doom, which contained very few story details in-game. Doom 2D has even less in-game plot developments than this, simplifying the already simple objectives found in Doom games.
Gameplay utilizes a simple and customizable set of keys to navigate a 2D environment and defeat and pass monsters. The game also offers two-player cooperative-play or deathmatch options, which can be played using different keys on a single keyboard.
Visual styles and creatures
All creatures from the original Doom appear in Doom 2D, as Doom 2D utilizes the monster sprites (and others, such as object sprites) ripped from the original Doom. The difference, of course, is that in Doom 2D the creatures are mostly seen from the side (as opposed to the front, as it is in Doom) due to the different perspective. Most of the game's foreground and background elements were as well extracted from Doom, as were the sound effects.
- Doom 2D at Games Showcase - Source to download the translated game.
- Doom 2D download page on fans site - Latest version, source code, patches and mods.
- Doom 2D at Home of the Underdogs
- Doom 2D as a browser game - A Flash version of Doom 2D (an independent project with a different story).
- Doom 2D: Forever - a Windows/OpenGL remake. Site is in Russian, but the game is bilingual. Game includes coop/dm/ctf multiplayer and powerful level editor.
- Doom 2D Multiplayer - a WIP Doom 2D remake which focuses on online multiplayer via TCP/IP. The game is also in Russian, but an English translation is available here.
- Doom 2D, first episode - Another 2D Doom platformer. Arguably more faithful to original Doom than the original Doom 2D. Lacks multiplayer, has some bugs and only has one episode.
- Doom 2D video - single player gameplay.