|Platforms||DOS, Linux, MacOS, OS/2, Windows|
|Developers||faB, Hurdler, Boris Pereira, Wesley Johnson|
Doom Legacy is a source port available for DOS, Win32, Linux, OS/2 and MacOS, originally written by Boris Pereira and Denis "faB" Fabris, now maintained by Thierry "Hurdler" Van Elsuwé, with a supporting cast of 40 contributors.
Legacy was originally written as a fork of an early DOSDoom version introducing mouse-look, jumping, a console, 32 player deathmatch, skins and a native win32 mode. The console in its entirety was taken from Quake 1.01, a leaked version of Quake about one to two years before it was GPLed. Fabris developed a glide front-end, one of the first hardware-accelerated renderers. Hurdler was originally introduced to develop GL support, however as time went by, Hurdler increasingly maintained the project. Fabris has now moved on to pastures new, with Boris making an occasional appearance.
Boom compatibility was introduced later by Stephen "SoM" McGranahan, who also introduced Heretic support by merging in code from Heretic/Hexen; and FraggleScript from the port SMMU. SoM also developed some novel modifications, including several varieties of 3D floors and deep water before settling on the current implementation.
Since 2003, the Legacy code-base is being re-written in C++. This is designed to improve the tolerance of the code base to new features.
- TCP/IP multiplayer networking (including a master server for Internet game searches)
- Nearly complete Boom and Heretic support
- OpenGL rendering
- Higher resolutions
- DirectSound 3D
- Console with support for key bindings (Quake-style bindings)
- FraggleScript for scripting
- 3D floors, water, and coloured lighting
- Free look and crosshairs
- 32 Players (including support for custom skins)
- Supports Linux, MacOS and Windows and others
- 2 player splitscreen co-op or deathmatch
- Ability to play Audio CDs during play
- #legacy, the IRC channel
- ReMooD a modification of Doom Legacy
- PSP Legacy A port for the Sony PlayStation Portable
- Doom Legacy home page
- SourceForge site
- #legacy IRC Channel
- Legacy Forum
- Legacy Wiki
- discussion about non-hardware accelerated dynamic lighting in a Doomworld mailbag, 1998-09-29
|Source code genealogy|
|Doom Legacy 1.29||Merged|
Doom Legacy 1.29
|Doom Legacy 1.42|| Base for|
| Base for|