Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Ultimate Doom maps
|Knee-Deep in the Dead|
|The Shores of Hell|
- This level occupies the map slot E4M6. For other maps which occupy this slot, see Category:E4M6.
The map title comes from Psalm 139:20: "For they speak against thee wickedly, and thine enemies take thy name in vain."
The level bears some resemblances to the second level, Perfect Hatred, such as having to fight and solve puzzles on shelves above and around a huge lava pit, with restricted space for maneuver; as well as having to deal with a Cyberdemon at the end. In addition, these two levels are the only ones designed by John Romero in The Ultimate Doom after the shareware episode.
This level is on the difficult side, as you need to do the early portion rather quickly.
Clear out the initial maze until you reach the courtyard, and head into the secret on the left wall for a plasma gun. Enter the slime area on the left-hand side. Before picking up the radiation suit, kill any visible monsters. Enter the secret behind you to restore health and kill monsters there. Open the door in the middle and grab the rocket launcher, but run immediately back and avoid the Baron of hell.
Grab the suit, and jump in the large pit. Lower the west side of the pillar by activating it (this is the direction you came from) and enter it. You will teleport in front of the chaingun, which you should take. Blitz forward and get the blue key, and dive back in the nukage pit. Lower the northern side, and teleport in. Run up the steps to open a door to your left, and flip the switch in the alcove. Run to the blue key switch to the right, and activate it. Get the yellow key.
By now, your radiation suit is running out, grab a new one from the slime pit. Use it to reach the supercharge secret in the west, and head to the teleporter and go in the eastern side.
Approach the yellow key barricades, then head to the teleporter on the south of the room. Enter the yellow key building, flip the switch, and teleport out. Jump over the lowered barricades into the teleporter.
The red key is at the end of this corridor, and once you collect it, platforms will raise to make crossing the nukage pit easier. Head back to the eastern area, and enter the nukage to reach the other building locked with a red key. Open it and flip the switch.
Head back to the western area, and look for a corridor on the south. It should lead to a few medikits and an invulnerability, which you should take. Head to the eastern area, and go to the lowered Red key barricades. To the right is a BFG and berserk pack. Take them and jump through the teleporter at the end. Use the BFG on the Cyberdemon, and once he dies, you can use the exit.
- Once you arrive at the "castle" near the beginning of the level, follow the white rocky wall along to the left. At the far end, fairly close to the fortress wall (and left of the large gnarled tree), is an alcove. Walk straight through the back wall to reach a secret tunnel.
- From secret #1, drop into the lava "moat" and make your way to its south side. There is a small green marble platform with a torch on it about halfway to the huge lava pit deeper in the castle. Open the back wall of this platform to get a blur sphere, and ride the lift up to a soul sphere visible earlier in the level.
- The yellow skull key is located on an overlook with several barred windows. You can walk right through the bars in the rightmost window, however. In the lava pit below, open the wall between the floating skull decorations on the far side. Alternate way (similar to secret #2): from secret #1, drop into the lava "moat" and make your way to its north side. Open the back wall of the northern marble platform between the bullet box and the torch. Go down the stairs and keep straight on until you reach the secret sector.
- On HMP and higher, the two Spectres on the blue key platform are stuck together and can't move until one dies.
- The two Imps positioned up in the 'castle' either side of the 'moat' won't see you when you first enter the courtyard, only when you get closer to them.
- Several slime trails can be seen in the eastern lava pit.
Routes and tricks
The Compet-N records for the map are:
|UV speed||01:38||Anders Johnsen||1999-01-28||u4m6-138.zip|
|NM speed||01:40||Vincent Catalaá||2002-03-15||n4m6-140.zip|
|UV max||02:56||Drew "stx-Vile" DeVore||2002-04-13||u4m6-256.zip|
|UV -fast||04:20||Anders Johnsen||1999-06-12||f4m6-420.zip|
|UV -respawn||02:43||Radek Pecka||2001-12-09||r4m6-243.zip|
|UV Tyson||29:24||Xit Vono||2003-01-26||t4m62924.zip|
(Note for UV pacifist: it is apparently not possible to finish the level without killing the Cyberdemon, as the gate to the end of the level only opens after its death.)
|Monsters||ITYTD and HNTR||HMP||UV and NM|
|Barons of Hell||1||3||3|
|Powerups||ITYTD and HNTR||HMP||UV and NM|
|Weapons||ITYTD and HNTR||HMP||UV and NM|
|Ammunition||ITYTD and HNTR||HMP||UV and NM|
|Keys||ITYTD and HNTR||HMP||UV and NM|