The Firemace is a weapon from Heretic. Although it looks like an ordinary mace, it is used as a ranged weapon. When fired, its spikes rotate and it launches one Mace Sphere every 3 ticks in volleys of four; each sphere is either small or large. The small mace spheres have an ~89% chance of being spawned, and deal 2-16 damage. The large mace spheres only have a ~11% chance of being spawned, deal 6-48 damage, and spawn two small mace spheres when they bounce (however, the small mace sphere spawned on a bounce does 4-32 damage). Using a Tome of Power causes the Firemace to slowly launch huge metal balls that bounce around, seek enemies, and kill any non-boss (including other players, EVEN in invulnerability mode) in one hit, but deal only 18-144 damage to bosses. The power mode shots may also travel through teleports and can even telefrag the one who fired it. If a player has a Chaos Device in his inventory when a powered sphere hits him, he will automatically use a Chaos Device and lose half of his health. Neither mode is capable of hitting ghosts and will simply disappear when they bounce into a liquid. Maximum capacity is 150 shots, or 300 with the Bag of Holding.
A notable feature of the Firemace is that it only has a ~75% chance of appearing in a level when not in the deathmatch gamemode; also, when multiple Firemaces are placed in a level, only one has a chance to appear, allowing for some minor randomization in Heretic maps. In Heretic v1.0, the surplus mace spots would spawn other objects, depending on the episode number of the map: Disciples of D'Sparil in E1, Weredragons in E2, Ophidians in E3, and (through a bug) Shadowspheres in the E4 secret slots. However, later versions removed this substitution effect, placing nothing on the extra mace spots.
|Damage||6-48 (large sphere)|
2-16 (small sphere spawned by weapon)
4-32 (small sphere spawned by large sphere)
18-144 (huge, powered sphere to Maulotaurs and D'Sparil)
10000 (huge, powered sphere to all other bad guys)
|Included ammo||50 (75 on skills 1 & 5)|
|Max ammo||150 (300 with Bag of Holding)|
|Ammo type||Mace Spheres|
|Velocity (large sphere)||10 map units per tic|
(350 map units per second)
(small sphere spawned by weapon)
|20 map units per tic|
(700 map units per second)
(small sphere spawned by large sphere)
|7 map units per tic|
(245 map units per second)
|Shots per minute||700.0 (regular)|
|Thing type (spawner)||2002 (decimal), 7D2 (hex)|
|Sprite||WMCE (before pickup)|
- The Firemace is arguably a secret weapon as it was not documented in the game's instruction manual.
- It is the only weapon that doesn't have a rough equivalent in Doom, as its function is completely different from that of the BFG 9000, which therefore likewise has no Heretic equivalent.
- The Firemace (when not enhanced by a Tome of Power) is actually marginally weaker than the Hellstaff. While it does have a slightly faster rate of fire, the spheres are on average less damaging than the Hellstaff's runes, and the Mace has a smaller maximum ammo capacity. Also, unlike the Hellstaff (and like Doom's plasma gun), the Firemace has a slight warm-up period before spheres are fired. In addition, it cannot harm ghosts, whereas the Hellstaff can.
- Despite the name "Firemace", neither the mace itself nor its ammunition appears to burn at all, unlike most of the other weapons.
|Staff||Elven Wand||Ethereal Crossbow||Dragon Claw||Hellstaff||Phoenix Rod||Firemace|
|Gauntlets of the Necromancer|