|Other console Doom levels|
- This level occupies the map slot MAP01. For other maps which occupy this slot, see Category:MAP01.
- Letters in italics refer to marked spots on the map. Sector numbers in boldface are secrets which count toward the end-of-level tally.
Other points of interestEdit
In this map is a hidden message from the designer of that map. The message is THE CASTLE WAS HERE. Castle means Russell "The Castle" Meakim.
To find that, you have to follow the exact route, shown on the picture.
Note: You must reach the switch under 30 seconds, after the map starts.
Follow the route, until you come to a point 1, there is a switch that you have to use from below the platform. This lowers some barriers in this area.
Take the route further to the next switch (point 2) and use it, to open the area, where the red key is located (point 3).
Grab the key, and go to point 4, take the small steps, to get access to the open area.
Follow the route to point 5, and use the switch.
There are seven secrets on the map:
- From the start position, move directly southwards to the metallic bulkhead with the UAC logo. Open it to find a berserk pack.
- Progressing through the level will bring you to a switch which lowers the bars protecting the red keycard. On the reverse of the switch is another (not very well hidden) switch. Flipping it lowers the barriers between the walls, and opens a pair of alcoves to the east, containing health bonuses, armor bonuses, shotgun shells, and Lost Souls for your troubles.
- Collect the red keycard, and make a 180 turn. Turn right down the stairs; behind the angled box is a dark wall. Open it to face an Imp and some armour bonuses.
- Go through the red door for the first time, and turn to the east to find a yellow door. Beside it is a switch; flip it and quickly backtrack to secret #3. Inside this room a door will have opened, revealing a teleporter. Enter it to discover the Chaingun in the room south of Secret #2, along with some not-so-friendly Imps if you didn't clear the room.
- In the blue keycard room will be a computer map on a plinth. To reach it, leave the room bearing south (to the blue keycard) then west. On the north wall will be another discoloured wall, use it to open a passage leading to the switch that lowers the computer map.
- Just inside the blue door is a tripwire which activates a door in the south east of the room. Run from the blue door activating the tripwire, and through the narrow door in the corner. Two Imps and some shotgun shells will greet you. Turn to your right and use the crate, which will reveal a switch. Use it, run along the outside wall to a metallic platform which will have lowered. Wait for it to raise and collect a series of armour bonuses atop a mound as a reward.
- From the armour bonuses reached in Secret #6, move directly north. The eastern wall can be lowered to reveal more health and armour bonuses. Move up the stairs and repel the ambush from behind you, inside the hideyhole will be a Chainsaw.
Continue through the secret area to find a stream of enemies, a Megaarmor at the secret's highest point, and a series of health/armour bonuses along with ammunition. Use the Automap to plan your jumps from the Megaarmor's point to reach the yellow keycard. The loading bays on the north wall will lower, unleashing a large number of enemies. Grabbing the yellow keycard also has the effect of spawning enemies throughout the level, culminating in a Pain Elemental outside the exit chamber. At the southernmost point of the map is a garden with trees and soil mounds. Behind the westernmost wall is a yellow access switch; hit it to reveal an area holding the Double-Barreled Shotgun, and an ambush of enemies.
The hidden message "THE CASTLE WAS HERE" should not be visible simply by finding the automap, but it is.
"On the 360 it shouldn't be visible unless you flip the switch. hmmm" -Russell "TheCastle" Meakim
Areas / screenshots Edit
Routes and tricksEdit
This level contains the following numbers of things per skill level:
|Monsters||ITYTD and HNTR||HMP||UV and NM|
|Powerups||ITYTD and HNTR||HMP||UV and NM|
|Weapons||ITYTD and HNTR||HMP||UV and NM|
|Ammunition||ITYTD and HNTR||HMP||UV and NM|
|Keys||ITYTD and HNTR||HMP||UV and NM|