|This article is a stub. Please help the Doom Wiki by expanding it.|
OBLIGE is a random level maker written by Andrew J. Apted for Doom, Wolfenstein 3D (no longer planned for version 3 ), Heretic, Hexen, and Quake (since version 3.57). It features a GUI interface, scripting language and prefabs, the ability to create deathmatch levels, etc.
OBLIGE is considered a massive step up from Slige. OBLIGE creates more compelling architecture and has a number of features Slige does not have, such as:
- Real outdoor areas.
- Heretic, Hexen, and Freedoom support.
- GUI used to build levels.
- Monsters in cages.
- Instead of being written entirely in C, the LUA scripting language is used for the majority of level creation code.
Since the bulk of level creation code is written in LUA, it is possible to modify and customize the random map generator without needing to recompile the GUI shell for OBLIGE.
This has resulted in a number of customizations to OBLIGE being released, including Mr. Chris' customizations that, among other things, add Skulltag support to OBLIGE, and Sam Trenholme's fork of OBLIGE, ObHack.
Versions of OBLIGE
- Never released to the public, offered only basic level building capabilities.
An overall obsolete version that does however have some features not available in version 3. Last released version in the branch was 0.97.
- Full support for Doom and Doom II, the ability to create functioning Heretic and Hexen levels. Buggy but working support for Wolfenstein 3D.
- Caged monsters.
- Prefab system.
- Secret levels.
Last version in the branch was 3.57. It had following features:
- Doom, Doom II, Heretic, Hexen, and buggy Quake support.
- Bigger rooms and more complex architecture.
- Modular support for custom content such as Skulltag support.
- Faster node building.
A version of OBLIGE that aimed to replace the 3.xx branch of OBLIGE. It had a wide array of features, including:
- Doom, Doom II, Final Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Quake, and Quake II support.
- Prefab system.
- Return of caged monsters.
- 3D floors for Quake and Quake II. Doom 3D floors support may be added later.
- Power-ups such as berserk packs and invulnerability spheres.
Last version in the branch was 4.28
- Experimental version and thus only a beta was available to the public.
This version merged the layout logic of version 3 with the prefab system developed from version 4 and 5. Unfortunately support for games other than doom was dropped. It had following features.
- 3D floors
- Improved lighting system
- WAD-based prefab system
- Improved health/ ammo calculation
Last version in the branch was 6.20.
OUT OF DATE, LATEST VERSION IS VERSION 7.666