|This article is a stub. Please help the Doom Wiki by expanding it.|
- "The Pistol is a sidearm with limitless ammo that is most effective against weaker targets."
- ― Arsenal description [src]
The UAC EMG Sidearm, also known as the Pistol, is a weapon featured in Doom (2016). Unlike its original iterations, it shoots directed-energy beams instead of bullets, and also has unlimited ammo. The pistol is the first weapon found in the game, found near the Doom Marine's sarcophagus.
The pistol is very weak compared to other weaponry in the game, but it can be used to conserve ammo and is effective against Imps and the possesed. To some extend, it can even be used on Possessed Soldiers and Hell Razers, if cover to charge shots is available. It is not advised to take on larger foes (such as Hell Knights) with the pistol, due to their higher damage resistance.
The Charged Energy Shot is a useful tool for finishing staggered demons out of Glory Kill range, provided you don't have the Intimacy is Best rune equipped. Even without the Mastery upgrade, it is capable of staggering an Imp on a fully charged body shot, or dispatching it in one well-aimed, full-charge shot to the head. It can also stagger Possessed Soldiers, Possessed Securities (provided it isn't blocked by their shields) and Hell Razers with a fully charged headshot.
The Pistol comes with a pre-installed weapon modification which can be upgraded without Field Drone. This modification allows the pistol to be charged up for more damage in a manner similar to Quake's Blaster.
| Charged Energy Shot|
Hold the Weapon Mod button to power up a Charged Energy Round.
|Charge Efficiency||Decreases the time it takes to power up a Charged Energy Shot.||Weapon Upgrade Points|
|Quick Recovery||Decreases the recovery time for the pistol after using a Charged Energy Shot.|
|Light Weight||Move at full speed when using the Charged Energy Shot.|
|Increased Power||Increases the maximum power of the Charged Energy Shot, resulting in higher damage potential.||Purchase all upgrades and complete the Weapon Mastery challenge|
|Mastery Challenge||Unlocks the "Increased Power" upgrade.||Get 15 headshot kills with the Charged Energy Shot.|
- EMG stands for "Energy-Matter-Gel".
- Despite using directed energy as ammunition, the weapon ejects cases when fired.
- The Charged Energy Shot for the pistol is similar to the Vortex Rifle's charged shot; the longer it is aimed down the sights, the more damage it will cause.
- The pistol is functionally very similar to the Blaster from Quake 2 and Quake 4, particularly the latter since the Quake 4 Blaster had the same charge-up alternate fire mode.
- A closer look on the pistol shows there are two Japanese kanji (or Chinese) characters inscribed, which appear to be "刀无". In Chinese, 刀无 (dāo wú) means "no knife" or "no sword." This could perhaps be a sidelong reference to John Romero's Daikatana, the title of which was written 大刀 (daidāo) meaning "big sword."
- On the side of the pistol, it says "LFG," possibly meaning "Little Fucking Gun."
- There is a multiplayer equivalent, known as the Mark V Pistol.
- Originally the Pistol fired bullets rather than limitless energy, and its appearance was notably a futuristic version of the Beretta M9 from the Classic Doom games.
|Weapons and Equipment of Doom (2016)|
|Singleplayer||Weapons||BFG9000 • Chaingun • Chainsaw • Combat Shotgun • Fists • Gauss Cannon • Heavy Assault Rifle • Pistol • Plasma Gun • Rocket Launcher • Super shotgun|
|Equipment||Delta V Jump-Boots • Frag Grenade • Hologram • Siphon Grenade|
|Multiplayer||Weapons||BFG9000 • Burst Rifle • Chainsaw • Gauss Cannon • Grenade Launcher • Hellshot • Lightning Gun • Mark V Pistol • Reaper • Static Cannon • Vortex Rifle|
|Equipment||Kinetic Mine • Lateral Thrusters • Personal Teleporter • Shield Wall • Threat Pulse • Threat Sensor • Tesla Rocket|
|Italics = Power Weapons|