|This article is a stub. Please help the Doom Wiki by expanding it.|
- "The Plasma Rifle has a very high rate of fire and leverages plasma projectiles to pick apart targets."
- ― Arsenal description [src]
The Plasma Rifle is a weapon featured in Doom (2016). It appears the same as it did in previous Doom games with a new design.
The Plasma Rifle is the weapon slated to to replace the Heavy Assault Rifle as the UAC's standard service rifle. Currently, it is supplementing the Heavy Assault Rifle in significant numbers, although they both are still common on the UAC's Mars base.
The Plasma Rifle offers a number of advantages over older, conventional firearms. It fires high damage bolts of plasma with minimal recoil, and has a very large ammunition capacity. However, it does have some drawbacks, namely the relatively low velocity of its projectiles, meaning that the user must lead targets depending on how far away they are.
The Plasma Rifle became standard issue among military units with the advent of Argent powered electromagnetic accelerators. Based off the HIPGD design of the early 21st century, this weapon delivers a rapid salvo of plasmoids that inflict both impact and thermal damage to the target.
Direct hit: 35
Rate of Fire: 80ms (750 rpm)
Damage per second: 437.50 (125 splash dps)
The Plasma Rifle shares its ammo pool with the Gauss Cannon. The player can increase his max ammo cap by using Argent Cells and allocating its power to "Ammo" subsystem.
|"Ammo" Level||Max Ammo|
| Heat Blast|
Firing the Plasma Rifle will build up excess heat that can be released as a powerful blast by using the Weapon Mod button.
|Super Heated Rounds||Shots from the Plasma Rifle now build heat much faster.||Weapon Upgrade Points|
|Improved Venting||Significantly reduces the weapon's recovery from a Heat Blast.|
|Expanded Threshold||Increases the amount of heat that can be contained, resulting in more potential damage.|
|Heated Core||Generate heat passively without needing to spend ammo.||Purchase all upgrades and complete the Weapon Mastery challenge|
| Stun Bomb|
Pressing the Weapon Mod button launches an electrified projectile that stuns demons within its detonation radius. It must recharge after firing.
|Quick Recharge||Stun Bomb recharges much faster.||Weapon Upgrade Points|
|Big Shock||Increases the size of the Stun Bomb detonation.|
|Longer Stun||Demons hit by the Stun Bomb will stay stunned for a longer duration.|
|Chain Stun||Demons killed while stunned will release a secondary stun detonation that affects nearby demons.||Purchase all upgrades and complete the Weapon Mastery challenge|
Headshot dps: 100
The Plasma Rifle can be unlocked in the multiplayer at level 2 (it's also available to use in level 1 by choosing "Assault" default loadout). The player spawns with 100 ammo (200 is the max ammo). The weapon features two fire modes:
- Primary Fire - A fully automatic rifle that fires pulses of superheated plasma capable of dealing splash damage. Each shot does 5 damage, or 8 on a critical hit.
- Weapon Mod - Shoots a plasma orb which detonates, creating a small area of burning plasma.
- Possessed Soldiers are equipped with plasma rifles meshed into their right arm; these weapons work very similarly to the player's weapon, but they feature the ability to fire a charged plasma orb that does splash damage. The major difference between the weapons is that the Possessed Soldier's rifle fires red rounds as opposed to the player's blue.
- The new Plasma Gun appears to have been inspired by Doom 3's Plasma Rifle.
- The Plasma Gun's firing animation plays for an amount of time and repeatedly shows projectiles streaming out of the barrel, regardless of how many are actually fired. This is barely noticeable even when firing short burst (what makes it still look right is the fact that it displays firing at the right speed, but not always the right amount of plasma balls are shot), but this is still very strange indeed.
- The numbers '8623' can be found near the trigger.