- If you know something about it, please feel free to add something. -- Jdowland 18:29, 15 May 2006 (UTC)
- I think that another article, possibly "Remixes and covers of Doom music," would be a great place for that kind of thing, along with artist info and stuff. Would be neat to see. -- 188.8.131.52 04:42, 17 May 2006 (UTC)
Sorry to be a nazi here, but based off doesn't ring true for me (as a Brit). We'd say Based on or derived from with the exception of some regional dialects. What do you think? Jdowland 16:48, 13 Apr 2005 (EDT)
Based on does make much more sense. Bloodshedder 16:50, 13 Apr 2005 (EDT)
e3m8 changed to Stormtroopers Of Death's "Sargent D and the SOD", as the main riff in both are practically the same. The only similarity it ever had with Silent Scream was a SLIGHT similarity in the structure of the opening riff in both songs. Check e3m8 with S.O.D's song if you don't believe me. ~ Tom D
E3M8 is nothing like Behind The Crooked Cross. The structure and the riffing have absolutely nothing in common with e3m8, yet SOD's "Sargent D And The SOD" has a lot in common with it when it comes to comparison. Even Silent Scream made more sense. Don't re-edit my edits without checking the information first, because I know I'm right, and you know I'm right if you listen and/or compare the songs Slayer's "Silent Scream" , "Behind The Crooked Cross" and SOD's "Sargent D And The SOD", you should know which one is the right choice. ~Tom D
- I really suggest you chill out. Fraggle 11:13, 29 April 2006 (UTC)
- You're quite right, I was too quick to revert your edit. It definitely doesn't sound like Crooked Cross, but it does sound like Silent Scream as per linguica's comparisons page. I haven't heard the S.O.D. track. -- Jdowland 17:11, 29 April 2006 (UTC)
- On second listen it doesn't sound much like Silent Scream, either. Do you have a sample of the S.O.D. track? I expect Linguica would be interested too. -- Jdowland 17:12, 29 April 2006 (UTC)
Here you go, http://tomd666.kiwibonga.com/SODthing.mp3 I'd say it has more similarities with e3m8 than Silent Scream. ~Tom D
- Holy crap. One of the only true rip offs in Doom I -- TheDarkArchon 23:42, 29 April 2006 (UTC)
- Could someone please listen to Bolt thrower - World Eater I could swear I heard it before in DooM, but I don't remember which level.
I've just noticed that the opening riff to D.R.I. - Hooked is pretty much identical to E1M1. However, that's where the similarities end. It might be worth mentioning as the riff sounds closer to the Doom track than the Master of Puppets riff does in my opinion.
If you listen to "The Family Ghost" on Abigail by King Diamond, beginning at about 2 minutes 15 seconds, you will hear the exact melody of e1m1, though it is underneath a lot of guitar work. it is easier to recognize on the rough mix version of the song, also included in the newer version of the cd
This is a classic metal riff - the beginning of "Total Destruction" by Bathory, the Return sounds almost identical. I think this album predated Metallica's Kill Em All
silent scream Edit
wow that tracck sounds dead on with the doom version
Disputed claims Edit
We need to include alternate possible influences when they're disputed, rather than blindly deleting one and replacing it with the other. Additionally, links to sound file or YouTube comparisons or textual descriptions of similarities should help make the claims be verifiable. Who is like God? 22:12, 23 September 2008 (UTC)
I agree that E3M2 has some similarity to Bolt Thrower "World Eater" from 17th second, though it is not clear.
As for E1M1, some people believe that (citation): It sounds more like Burzum's "War", which is stolen from Destruction's "Curse the Gods" and they are both pretty much a ripoff of Bathory's "Necromancy" (Though almost exclusively the guitar bit), which I agree...
Also consider Black Sabbath "The Writ" (ending part) as a candidate for E1M2. --Beard of prey 23:00, 5 February 2009 (UTC)
Almost forgot.. Joe Satriani "House Full of Bullets" (1998, Crystal Planet) sounds to me like a cover onto E1M2. --Beard of prey 23:33, 5 February 2009 (UTC)
At Doom's Gate Edit
I have tested the MIDI version of Master of Puppets, and I think At Doom's Gate is based on this song. Fangusu 16:26, 26 March 2009 (UTC)
- Um, this is already known to be the case. Did you read the article? Fraggle 23:04, 26 March 2009 (UTC)
- Yes he did, and he also removed the speculation about it possibly being based on No Remorse and various songs by other artists. While I tend to agree with Fangusu on the Doom song resembling Master of Puppets the most, many people seem to disagree. Maybe we should consider about reverting Fangusu's changes? -- Janizdreg 23:35, 26 March 2009 (UTC)
I decided to remove the links to YouTube, because it is not clear whether people who uploaded the songs to YouTube have the copyright holders' permission. If you believe they could be allowed, state your reasons here. --Xtroose 13:10, December 29, 2009 (UTC)
is also similar to ratos de porao's land of carnival (http://www.youtube.com//watch?v=bwXe0qWW5mk) which was written in 1989. it's a well known punk/thrash band from brasil, could be similar to DRI. just thought you should add this! it seems to me, more similar to e1m1 than the metallica ones are.184.108.40.206 18:30, September 16, 2011 (UTC)
It claims that this is based on "Black Sabbath's Time Machine", but comparable to Judas Priest's Leather Rebel. The unused music page claims that the older version is based on Leather Rebel, and I can't see any simialarity between Time Machine and E4M2. Can anyone point out the simialarity? ConCass 21:53, March 23, 2012 (UTC)
I'm still convinced that E1M1 is based off of Painkiller by Judas Priest. It immediately reminded me of the opening guitar riff after the drum solo. Matches way more than Master of Puppets.
220.127.116.11 23:08, February 28, 2014 (UTC)
Endgame Music Edit
The endgame music always reminded me (or actually it was the other way around, I played Doom first) the backing tune in Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds track Horsell Common and the Heat Ray, starting at a about 3:34 in that track.18.104.22.168 19:26, December 6, 2014 (UTC)