Below is a timeline of Doom-related events.
- October 28, 1967 - John Romero is born.
- August 20, 1970 - John Carmack is born.
- December 14, 1990 - The first episode of Commander Keen (Marooned on Mars) is released.
- February 1, 1991 - id Software is officially formed.
- May 5, 1992 - Wolfenstein 3D is released.
- September 1992 - The making of Doom begins.
- February - Doom 0.2 alpha released privately.
- March - A Doom alpha never released to testers.
- April 2 - Doom 0.4 alpha released privately.
- May 22 - Doom 0.5 alpha released privately.
- October - Doom Pre-Beta demo released.
- December 10 - Doom 0.99 (aka 1.0) shareware is released.
- January 26 - The first version of the Doom Editing Utilities is released.
- March 7 - The first public third-party PWAD, the Origwad, is released.
- October 10 - Doom II is released.
- December 23 - Heretic is released.
- April 30 - Ultimate Doom is released.
- June - The first Doom novel is published.
- October 30 - Hexen is released.
- December 26 - The Master Levels for Doom II are released.
- May 31 - Strife and the first version of Quake are released.
- June 17 - Final Doom is released.
- Chex Quest is released in boxes of Chex cereal.
- Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel is released.
- March 31 - Doom 64 is released.
- May 1 - The Doom Music album is released.
- Fall - The Depths of Doom Trilogy combination pack is released.
- September - Reaper Miniatures releases a line of Doom miniatures.
- December 23 - The Doom source code is released.
- Hacx is released.
- January 11 - Raven Software releases the source code for Heretic and Hexen.
- April 20 - The Columbine High School Massacre occurs.
- October 3 - The source code for Doom is re-released under the General Public Licence (GPL) by John Carmack, thanks to persuasion by Andrew "Linguica" Stine.
- September - The Ultimate Doom Trilogy: Collector's Edition combination pack is released, incudes all four official Doom IWADs and Doom95.
- October 26 - The Game Boy Advance version of Doom is released.
- January 29 - The Ultimate Doom Trilogy: Collector's Edition combination pack is re-released with Doom 3 promotion material.
- May 6 - Masters of Doom, by David Kushner, is published.
- January 5 - The Doom Wiki begins.
- April 4 - Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil is released.
- September 13 - Doom RPG is released.
- October 18 - Quake 4 is released.
- October 21 - Doom movie premieres in the US.
- Doom: The Boardgame Expansion Set is released.
- February 7 - Doom movie DVD is released, along with a series of merchandise based on it.
- July 11 - Prey is released in the US.
- September 27 - Ultimate Doom is released on the Xbox 360 Live Arcade worldwide.
- August 3 - Every Doom game is released on Steam, along with various Doom and Doom 3 engine games.
- September 28 - Enemy Territory: Quake Wars is released.
- February 26 - The first Doom 3 novel, Doom 3: Worlds on Fire is published.
- May 7 - id Software announces that Doom 4 is being developed.
- September 4 - Raven Software rereleases the source code for Heretic and Hexen under the GNU GPL.
- March 31 - The second Doom 3 novel, Doom 3: Maelstrom is published.
- June 26 - Doom Resurrection is released for the iPhone OS.
- August 18 - Wolfenstein is released in the US.
- October 31 - Doom Classic, a port of Ultimate Doom, is released for the iPhone OS.
- February 8 - The sequel to Doom RPG titled Doom II RPG is released.
- May 26 - Doom II is released on the Xbox 360 Live Arcade in the US along with the included new episode, No Rest for the Living.
- September - Ultimate Doom is delisted on the Xbox 360 Live Arcade.