Virus is basically a whole new game created by James Cresswell (Phobus), being made within the ZDoom engine (although it still requires the Doom2 IWAD to run). Currently on the Episode 1 "Shareware Release", Virus is both a finished product and a WIP. The aim of the game is to fly through the maps (either with or without a friend), destroying all opposition and getting to the end - much the same as Doom, just flying, and in a totally different world. The maps are quite small, but fairly non-linear, with plenty of secrets and goodies to find. They are also made with speed running in mind, and have UV "fly through" runs as PAR times (15 seconds for MAP01, for instance). Two of the maps (MAP06 and MAP07) were made by Guest Mappers Mik57 and hnsolo77 respectively.
- 10 playable maps, 1 ending map and a skip map
- "Whole new game" style
- New player class, new weapons, new monsters, new music (from vgmusic.com), new sounds (sourced from Marine Assault and Zen Dynamics)
- Background text file in zip
- High use of ZDoom features
- Small-medium maps packed with action, secrets and color
Suitable for single play and 2 player co-op.
More info can be found on Phobus' webpage for Virus, linked below.