|Zombie (Doom 3)|
50-100 (regular/fat), 150 (flaming), 250 (chainsaw)
15 (unarmed regular/fat/flaming), 20 (wrench/flashlight regular/fat), 20 per second (chainsaw)
1. "spawn monster_zombie_maint" (spawns a fast zombie with an open shirt)
2. "spawn monster_zombie_maint_bald" (spawns a bald maintenance zombie)
3. "spawn monster_zombie_maint_skinny" (spawns a skinny maintenance zombie)
4. "spawn monster_zombie_maint_nojaw" (spawns a maintenance zombie with a no lower jaw)
5. "spawn monster_zombie_maint_wrench" (spawns a nojaw zombie with a wrench)
6. "spawn monster_zombie_maint_flashlight" (spawns a nojaw zombie with a flashlight)
7. "spawn monster_zombie_suit_skinny" (spawns a skinny zombie with a brown shirt)
8. "spawn monster_zombie_suit_bloodymouth" (spawns a brown shirt zombie with blood on the lower mouth)
9. "spawn monster_zombie_suit_neckstump" (spawns a brown shirt zombie with no head)
10. "spawn monster_zombie_jumpsuit" (spawns a zombie with a jumpsuit on)
11. "spawn monster_zombie_labcoat_skinny" (spawns a skinny scientist zombie)
12. "spawn monster_zombie_labcoat_neckstump" (spawns a scientist zombie with no head)
13. "spawn monster_zombie_labcoat_limb" (spawns a scientist zombie with blood under it's mouth)
14. "spawn monster_zombie_labcoat_pipe" (spawns a scientist zombie with no face)
15. "spawn monster_zombie_tshirt_bald" (spawns a bald marine zombie)
16. "spawn monster_zombie_tshirt_blown" (spawns a marine zombie with no face)
17. "spawn monster_zombie_morgue" (spawns a fast zombie wearing nothing but boxers)
18. "spawn monster_zombie_boney" (spawns a fast naked hell zombie)
19. "spawn monster_zombie_fat" (spawns a fat zombie)
20. "spawn monster_zombie_fat2" (spawns a fat zombie with an open tummy)
21. "spawn monster_zombie_fat_wrench" (spawns an open tummy fat zombie with a wrench)
22. "spawn monster_zombie_bernie" (spawns a flaming zombie)
23. "spawn monster_zombie_sawyer" (spawns a chainsaw zombie)
The basic Doom 3 Zombie is a reinterpretation of the classic Former Human. They were once UAC civilians, now possessed by evil spirits. A scripted event early in the game shows scientist Jonathan Ishii coming into contact with a transparent "ghost skull", which turns him into a Zombie. The demonic force that creates Zombies does not differentiate between the living and the dead - slain humans will be re-animated as Zombies, and do not seem to be any less powerful than the ones created through possession of a living host.
Zombies come in differently-colored clothes, unlike the original Former Human soldiers, but have other minor characteristics in common with the classic enemies, such as one zombie type having withered hair (compared to the classic Former Human's green hair). The basic Zombies in Doom 3 do not carry firearms like the Z-Secs, though a few may use wrenches and flashlights as clubs.
They generally come in a number of flavours, each with different heads (or even, occasionally, no head) and different damage skins.
They stop appearing after the marine returns from Hell.
Distinct types of zombies are listed here:
- Zombie Scientist: Wears a greenish or blue lab coat. Can appear jawless, headless and faceless.
- Zombie Maintenance Worker: Wears a brown-orange suit. Can appear jawless, headless and faceless. May carry a wrench or a flashlight.
- Zombie Marine: Unarmed, wears a blood-stained, olive-colored tank top without armor.
- Zombie Civilian: Wears a blackish coat/suit.
- Fat Zombie: Obese, barefoot civilian wearing grey clothes. Can appear faceless and with an open stomach. May carry a wrench. Has roughly twice as much health as a regular zombie, due to the fat on the stomach absorbing bullets.
- Fast Zombie: wears open shirts and shambles at a noticeably higher speed than normal zombies.
- Flaming Zombie: affectionately monikered "Bernie", this burning zombie is noticeably faster than normal.
- Morgue Zombie: created from a corpse in the morgue. Looks like the bony zombies but wears a pair of underwear. Only one appears in the entire game. Unlike regular zombies, he runs instead of walking or shambling, making him quite fast.
- Chainsaw Zombie: also known as "Sawyer"; a unique zombie type with a muscular appearance. Wears the remains of a maintenance suit with armored knee pads, significantly higher than normal health, and armed with a Chainsaw. Humorously, one of these zombies in Delta Labs Sector 4 is seen wearing a party hat.
- Bony Zombie: naked human; similar to regular zombies. Only found in Hell.
All zombies but the last four are very quiet, save the moaning(and the Chainsaw Zombie's trademark weapon).
The basic zombie types take around eight pistol bullets to the body to kill (in most cases, 6 shots should kill), but headshots do twice as much damage. The flashlight melee attack can finish them in 2-3 hits. If you are short on ammo, use the Chainsaw. They move rather slowly and are melee enemies only. However, their melee attacks do much more damage than Imp attacks, especially if they are armed with a flashlight or wrench to use as a club, they can end up hitting the player hard if they end up pinning the player against a wall.
Mostly slow-moving and entirely melee-only, these monsters are really only in the game as target practice and for putting a scare on the player when they burst from a "monster closet" early in the game. Any weapon, including fists and the flashlight, can be used effectively against them, but when a melee weapon is used, it is necessary to take careful aim and back away frequently to avoid their attacks. On the other hand, when facing a Chainsaw Zombie, forget melee - it is vital that you kill the zombie before it can attack you at close range.
When facing multiple zombies, the Shotgun is recommended on these walking corpses. The player could maneuver tactfully and shoot down zombies with ease. However in the case of limited shells, the player should switch to the pistol or machine gun instead.
Zombies are ideal enemies to use the pistol or the chainsaw on. When facing a Chainsaw Zombie, you should use a rapid fire ranged weapon instead of weak or slow firing weapons.
If you notice a dead body on the ground, club it with a flashlight. Some zombies play dead, and this tactic will save the hassle of being ambushed by one.
The Chainsaw Zombie can also be killed by standing still with the chainsaw spinning, and letting the Chainsaw Zombie walk into the spinning blade and kill itself. If you instead run at a Chainsaw Zombie with the chainsaw, the zombie will be able to hit you with its chainsaw before it dies.
The following monsters are related to the zombies:
|Doom 3 monsters|
|Resurrection of Evil monsters|
From Doom 3: Arch-Vile | Cacodemon | Cherub | Commando | Demon | Hell Knight | Imp | Maggot | Mancubus | Revenant | Tick | Trite | Wraith | Zombie | Z-Sec